Here are my political, economic and other predictions for 2018. What are yours? Agree or disagree, or share your own. Comment by clicking on "Comments" above right or at the end of the post.
1. Trump will not be impeached, but the Republican party will increasingly distance themselves from him as he departs more from reality and upsets rational voters (there are still quite a few)
2. The Democrats will win control of the House but not the Senate. The Republican agenda will be dead in the water, but that won't stop Trump from doing what he can do wreak havoc on the established order.
3. Theresa May will step down as Prime Minister of the U.K. but there will not be an election. There will be a massive power struggle inside the Conservative party, resulting in a large number of disaffected politicians and voters. Labour will be positioned to win the next election, likely in 2019
4. There will be a "surgical strike" by the U.S. on North Korea to attempt to remove Kim Jong-un. It will fail, and North Korea will conduct a limited, non-nuclear artillery strike on South Korea, but not on a populated area
5. Rex Tillerson will resign as U.S. Secretary of State. (not exactly a brave prediction!)
6. Kathleen Wynne will win a minority government and will be supported, at least temporarily by the NDP. There will be another election close to year end after Wynne loses a confidence vote and resigns.
7. The Toronto Maple Leafs will not win the Stanley Cup. (another pretty safe prediction)
8. The stock markets all over the world will have a correction of about 15% after reaching unsustainable highs in the spring.
9. John Tory will win re-election as Mayor of Toronto. However, he will be strongly challenged by a young candidate from the left. Could be Josh Matlow or Joe Cressy. Bring on the next generation!
10. The war in Syria will end with Assad leaving and taking exile in whatever place will have him, likely Russia. See this excellent article on Russia's ascendancy in Syria and the Middle East.
11. There will be a huge cyberattack that has 9/11 type implications
12. China will emerge from 2018 as the leader in the global community
Here are more informed predictions by the Eurasia Group a major geopolitical consultancy. It ain't pretty! Thanks to Tobi Gordon for passing this on